Saturday, August 3, 2013

My Sister's Mullein Weed Poultice

My calendar says that August 4th is Sister's Day.  I'd like to honor this special day with the following account. 


When we were growing up we had a neighbor man who seemed older than dirt.  He lived in a big, two-story farm house down the road that was even older than he.  Everyone called him by a nickname of "Happy".  He seemed happy enough I guess.  Anyway, Happy had a grand-fatherly affection for my sister.  I think he thought she was just so cute with her little blond head.  He called her "Babe".  One day Babe twisted her ankle.  It turned purple and swelled up.  When Happy saw her limping around the yard, he headed out to the pasture to pick some mullein weed.  He promptly returned and made a nasty-smelling poultice of mullein weed and mustard.  Mom applied the poultice and although Babe wanted to take it off, she was made to wear it until Happy left that day.  Ha Ha Ha--that's what you get for being the cute little sister!

2 comments:

  1. Cute little sisters might have a few things they have to put up with, but, thank of all the times they had things their way. I was always told "Remember she is the littlest one and she will cry if you don't give in to her". I don't recall how many time I heard that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute story. By the way...from experience I can tell you it could have been worse. I had three younger sisters to placate. :)

    ReplyDelete