Thursday, May 23, 2013

Cookbook Tribute to Jay



I haven't created a blog post since Jay passed away in February.  It's rather uncanny, but the last post I published was actually about us picking out our tombstone.  It's time for me to get back in the groove of sharing on 'My Everyday Stuff'.

With the help of the Hospice Program, we were able to keep Jay here at Bittersweet Place throughout his illness and passing.  If ever a funeral service could be considered perfect, then I think this is what Jay had despite the rainy weather. The words spoken truly captured his essence, and the video provided a good pictorial summary of the stages of his life. 

One thing that I have done to honor Jay's memory is publish our recipes and  accompanying notes in cookbook form.  He collected recipes for years and always wanted to publish a cookbook of our "favorites" but just never got around to it. The task not only filled many lonely hours for me, but has been immensely rewarding.  I am pleased with the finished product and have enjoyed sharing a copy with many people.  Included are individuals who contributed recipes over the years-- friends and family members. 

Jay's notes make the book uniquely his, although many of my recipes and words are included also.  While I did edit his work, I did not censor it.  So I think I can safely say you'll never see another cookbook with a recipe for "Orgasms"  (an alcoholic beverage) included, or one with phrases such as, 'a damned fine cook'.  People who have read the book have commented that it sounds as if Jay is speaking to them.  That is exactly what I was hoping could be achieved. 

One of the recipients of the cookbook suggested that we have a potluck with everyone making one of Jay's recipes.  I think this is a fabulous idea.  We decided to wait until cooler weather returns in the fall and October was Jay's favorite month anyway.  So we are going to have a Jay Fest at the local establishment then.  Boy would he feel honored!  For now all I have to say is, "Bon Appetit Jay!".   

1 comment: